Keep Santa Going This Christmas - With A Mince Pie
Why not treat Santa this year to a mince pie and a hot toddy. After all, it has been a tough year. This food and drink combination is guaranteed to keep Santa going this Christmas.
To make this you will need:
- 600g of mincemeat
- 1 apple
- Lemon zest
- icing sugar
- 2 satsumas, segmented
- 375g plain flour
- 260g unsalted butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 large egg, plus 1 beaten egg for glazing
To make simply follow these steps
- Place 375g plain flour and 260g softened unsalted butter in a bowl and rub together.
- Add 125g of caster sugar and 1 large beaten egg, then mix.
- Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and fold until the pastry comes together, be careful not to over mix.
- Wrap the pastry in cling film and chill for 10 mins.
- Add the mincemeat into a bowl and add 2 segmented satsumas, 1 finely chopped apple and zest of 1 lemon.
- Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
- Roll out the pastry to 3mm thick.
- Using a round 10 cm cutter, cut out 16 bases and place them into cupcake trays. Put 1½ tbsp of mincemeat mixture into each. Brush the edge of each pie with a little beaten egg.
- Re-roll out the pastry to cut 7cm lids and press them on top to seal. Glaze the pastry with the beaten egg, sprinkle with caster sugar, then make a small cut in the tops.
- Bake the mince pies for 20 mins until golden brown. Leave to cool before dusting with icing sugar before serving.
Why not make a hot toddy with honey and lemon to go with the mince pies. Simply mix honey and lemon with Whisky and then pour in the boiling water from your instant boiling water tap and serve.